“… we produced a bundle of pens, a copious supply of ink, and a goodly show of writing and blotting paper. For there was something very comfortable in having plenty of stationary.”
Charles Dickens, Great Expectations
I first took this shot with my phone last year. The Brighton Lanes were empty, the light was fading and it was raining. I made some original edits and realised that I had something special here. I posted the first incarnation on social media where it instantly went viral and was subsequently reposted and shared thousands of times.
I decided to revisit the project with my professional Lumix G7 camera and recreate the scene, but this time, it was going to be a little bit more special. Many people commented on the Dickensian look dn feel of the composition ….So that’s where my creative brain started to get excited.
I will be writing a blog post dedicated to ‘Dickensian’, in which, I will include the original photo and the working ideas, and will detail the whole story behind the inspiration, the editing work and the challenges I faced to create this picture.
Own This Limited Edition Print
- Limited edition Giclée Fine-Art Print by Brighton based digital artist and photographer, Brian Roe
- Images are printed on Hahnemühle Bamboo, the world’s first FineArt Inkjet paper made from bamboo fibres, ensuring an environmentally friendly, premium aesthetic for every image.
- Bamboo paper is acid- and lignin-free and meets the most precise requirements in terms of age resistance, meaning every image will retain its vibrancy and quality for a lifetime.
- Fine Art Print dimensions include a 1.5-inch (38mm) border to create a distinct and clear transition between the frame and image. The borders also insulate your image from handling thereby protecting its longevity.
- Certificates of Authenticity are available with every print.